« Home | Some Global Observations About Earth, Wind and Fir... » | Researchers Map Cell Phone Usage In Various Cities... » | New GPS Device For Your Keychain » | Shake, Rattle and Roll - Recent Earthquakes Map » | WarDriving, What Is It A Good For? Unusual Applica... » | Tracking Visitors To Your Website/ RSS Feeds/ Blog... » | IP-to-Country Conversion Is Not 100% Accurate Yet » | More Vistor Tracking Services - BlogFlux » | Tracking Visitors To Your Blog - Home-Ranging Tech... » | Tracking Visitors To Your Blog Site - Part II - Se... »

Friday, September 23, 2005

Online GISes, More Free Map Data, a Hurricane Disaster Viewer, and a Question For You

GeoCommunity has a great treasure trove of links to free maps and DEM (Digital Elevation Maps) data. GIS.com, run by ESRI, also has a number of no-cost data and services, including the Hurricane Disaster Viewer, a slick-lookin, web-based map viewer showing New Orleans and various areas in the path of hurricanes.

A question for any reader that cares to comment. What would you like to see more of here? I've noticed that even though this blog was originally going to focus on the "website visitors" aspect of GIS/Geographic Information Systems, people seem to be more interested in bits about geographically-related news and weather conditions. It may be a fluke, but it may not. That said, is anyone interested in learning about mapping projections? I spent 7 years working and researching in the GIS field from a computer programmer's point of view. I have stacks of notes and unpublished research papers lurking about. I even have a scribbled paper somewhere when I had to create my own formula to measure the distance between two points on Earth - which is an ellipsoid and not a perfect sphere. Anyone interested? Feel free to post a comment or drop me a line at rdash001-at-yahoo-dot-ca (email mangled to confuse spambots).

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://geoplotting.blogspot.com


E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 


GeoPlotting Journal

This weblog/journal deals with a variety of topics relating to geographical data, as well as GIS (Geographical Information Systems) software and GPS devices. Posting is currently suspended, until a new version of this journal has been developed.


About Me
I'm a geek/ philosopher/ composer/ artist/ cook/ photographer/ web programmer/ consultant/ blah-blah-blah who is also a published writer and author. I worked with GIS systems and cartographic projections for seven years. I've had a love of maps and globes ever since my father gave me an atlas when I was in grade school. This is one of several blogs that I write.

 
 
Archives
Web geoplotting

(c) Copyright: 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://geoplotting.blogspot.com/